Head of Major Projects
- Full time (35 hrs pw)
- Salary: Up to £47,698
- Location: London with regular travel
Transparency International UK (TI-UK) is the country’s leading anti-corruption non-governmental organisation, and is part of a global coalition sharing one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. Further details of our work can be found here
The Transparency International Health Initiative is a global programme hosted by the Transparency International UK Chapter. The Programme’s overall goal is to improve global health and healthcare outcomes for the benefit of all people, of all ages. It aims to achieve this by reducing corruption and promoting transparency, integrity and accountability within the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. This an excellent point to join the Health Initiative. We have a new strategy; some established flagship DFID funding and are developing a range of exciting projects with committed and highly reputable stakeholders. The TI Movement recently renewed its commitment to health as global anti-corruption priority and we already have strong relationships with a number of TI’s 100+ National Chapters. We regularly engage with the World Health Organisation and hope to become an official partner in 2020.
Our new strategy will focus on three priority areas of the health value chain: Research and Development (especially Clinical Trials Transparency), Procurement (especially around Open Contracting) and Service Delivery (building on our recent highly acclaimed Ignored Pandemic report). We are now re-structuring the TI HI team to ensure we maximise learning and synergies from our existing flagship DFID-funded Open Contracting for Health (OC4H) project and future projects. Further details of our work can be found here.
About the role
As the Head of Major Projects you will play a substantial and crucial role in delivering projects that reduce corruption and promote transparency, integrity and accountability within the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. Focusing initially on the established Open Contracting for Health project, you will work with internal Movement and external partners to lead strategic and operational implementation of significant (multi-million £) projects.
Key duties will include:
- Strategic management and leadership of projects, with a priority focus on OC4H
- Responsibility for ensuring project delivery is in line with agreed logframes, of highest quality, timely, within budget, subject to robust MEL and overall donors’ requirements
- Overseeing relationships with project partner TI Chapters and external partners (including 5 partner OC4H Chapters and the Open Contracting Partnership)
- Supervision of up to 3 London-based project-focused staff and external consultants/projects
- Contributing to strategic programme and new project proposal development and set up
- Deputising for TI HI Director (as required, including with Trustees/SMT)
- Contributing actively to TI UK’s learning and behaviours culture, including leading/supporting/mentoring direct reports and the wider TI UK team.
The role will include regular travel, up to 8 weeks a year and involve occasional media and opportunities to present on behalf of TI HI.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Masters level or equivalent experience – International Relations or Development/Global or Public Health/Political Science/Anti Corruption
- Considerable experience of successfully delivering projects funded by major bilateral or multilateral funders (ideally of grants above £1m per annum)
- Substantial proven experience of the complete project cycle
- Experience of more innovative health systems strengthening projects
- Experience of developing and successfully applying creative solutions to problems
- Experience and commitment to working and managing within a Chapter-based organisation/movement and matrix team
- Experience of working across and with multiple stakeholders
- An interest in supporting, facilitating and contributing to strategic programme development
- A demonstrable interest and commitment to contributing to TI’s global vision
In addition, you may have:
- Some experience or understanding of working with the private (ideally pharmaceutical) sector
- Experience of the health supply chain/procurement cycle
- An interest in how technological solutions can contribute to health systems strengthening
In exchange we will offer you:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Up to 5% contributory pension
- Season ticket loan
- A flexible and friendly working environment
Applicants should send the following two items (preferably in pdf format) with your name and the role in the subject line to email@example.com
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role, why you are applying and where you saw the job advertised (1 page max)
- CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Closing date: Sunday 16 June 2019 (midnight)
We hope to interview weeks commencing 24 June or 1 July
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Only applications with a CV and cover letter will be considered.
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications. If you do not hear from us by the interview date, you should assume that that you have not been shortlisted.
Transparency International UK is an equal opportunity employer.