Senior Programme Manager – Policy and Advocacy
- 4 days/wk, (28 hrs/wk)
- Salary: Up to £47,698 (pro rata)
- Location: London with regular travel
Transparency International UK (TI-UK) is the country’s leading anti-corruption non-governmental organisation, and is part of a global coalition sharing one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. Further details of our work can be found here
The Transparency International Health Initiative is a global programme hosted by the Transparency International UK Chapter. The Programme’s overall goal is to improve global health and healthcare outcomes for the benefit of all people, of all ages. It aims to achieve this by reducing corruption and promoting transparency, integrity and accountability within the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. This an excellent point to join the Health Initiative. We have a new strategy; some established flagship DFID funding and are developing a range of exciting projects with committed and highly reputable stakeholders. The TI Movement recently renewed its commitment to health as global anti-corruption priority and we already have strong relationships with a number of TI’s 100+ National Chapters. We regularly engage with the World Health Organisation and hope to become an official partner in 2020.
Our new strategy will focus on three priority areas of the health value chain: Research and Development (especially Clinical Trials Transparency), Procurement (especially around Open Contracting) and Service Delivery (building on our recent highly acclaimed Ignored Pandemic report). We are now re-structuring the TI HI team to ensure we maximise learning and synergies from our existing flagship DFID-funded Open Contracting for Health project and future projects. Further details of our work can be found here.
About the role
As Senior Programme Manager (Policy and Advocacy) you will play a substantial and crucial role in overall programme development. You will use your fundraising and policy skills and experience to establish, develop and harness collaborative relationships with internal Movement and external partners (including the WHO) to deliver the Initiative’s policy and research portfolio and to access significant project (including multi-million £) funding.
Key duties will include:
- Providing thought leadership for TI HI, including developing, managing and delivering policy research pipeline and contributing to on-going projects and TI HI future strategy development
- Developing (multi-million £) fundraising proposals, including delivering expert policy input and coordination with Fundraising teams in TI UK and TI S
- Managing and developing relationships and co-funding opportunities with range of internal (TI Movement) and external (including (I)NGOs, thinktanks/academic institutions, private sector and industry body) stakeholders and delivery of workplan with World Health Organisation
- Developing and leading on the implementation of TI HI advocacy and comms strategies, including coordination with the Communications teams in TI UK and TI S and delivering advocacy material
- Supervision of up to 2 London-based policy staff and interns
- Deputising for TI HI Director (as required, including with Trustees/SMT)
- Contributing actively to TI UK’s learning and behaviours culture, including leading/supporting/mentoring direct reports and the wider TI UK team.
The role will include regular travel, upto 8 weeks a year and involve occasional media and opportunities to present on behalf of TI HI.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Masters level or equivalent experience probably in Global or Public Health
- ‘Inside’ understanding and/or experience of working with the World Health Organisation
- Substantial experience of working with a range of stakeholders across bilateral and multilateral government, civil society, the private sector, academia, and donors
- A proven track record of developing successful project funding proposals
- Significant experience of developing and delivering research papers and publications
- Solid experience of developing and implementing advocacy and communications strategies
- Experience and commitment to working and managing within a matrix international organisation
- An interest in supporting, facilitating and contributing to strategic programme development
- A demonstrable interest and commitment to contributing to TI’s global vision
In addition, you may have:
- Some experience or knowledge of anti-corruption
- Some experience or understanding of working with stakeholders in the private (ideally pharmaceutical) sector and associated ethics/compliance issues useful
In exchange we will offer you:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Up to 5% contributory pension
- Season ticket loan
- A flexible and friendly working environment
Applicants should send the following two items (preferably in pdf format) with your name and the role in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role, why you are applying and where you saw the job advertised (1 page max)
- CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Closing date: Tuesday 18 June 2019
We hope to interview the weeks commencing 1 or 8 July 2019
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Only applications with a CV and cover letter will be considered.
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications. If you do not hear from us by the interview date, you should assume that that you have not been shortlisted.
Transparency International UK is an equal opportunity employer.